EV maker Lucid announces $3 billion raise from Saudi public wealth fund and stock offering

Business

In this article

In an aerial view, a sign is posted on the exterior of Lucid headquarters on March 29, 2023 in Newark, California. Electric vehicle maker Lucid announced plans to lay off 1,300 workers, 18 percent of its workforce, as part of a restructuring plan. 
Justin Sullivan | Getty Images

Lucid Group said on Wednesday that it is raising about $3 billion through a new equity offering, with the majority coming from the Saudi fund that controls the luxury electric-vehicle maker.

Shares of the company fell more than 6% after hours.

Lucid said that about $1.8 billion of the total will come from a private placement of stock with Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF). The remainder will be raised through a public offering of new shares that commenced Wednesday, the company said.

The PIF owns about 60.5% of Lucid. The new funding round is structured to keep its stake at the same level.

Lucid said it will use the new cash for “general corporate purposes,” including capital expenditures and working capital.

Lucid had about $3.4 billion in cash and about $700 million in available credit lines as of March 31, according to its most recent report.

Articles You May Like

Monterey Car Week auctions could hit a record $500 million, with help from younger buyers
Struggling to find a job? Try looking in Nevada
Inflation moderated as Intel and Nvidia fueled the AI trade in last week’s market
Trump’s ‘big beautiful bill’ turned 529 plans into ‘lifelong education’ accounts, expert says: How to take advantage
Tariff bills across U.S. states mount as affordability and Trump head for midterm elections showdown

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *